2N404 PNP Germanium Transistors

Oooh, nice! These retro bastards can be used in pretty much any circuit specifying PNP germaniums. Particularly close to AC128's.

I've used them in Tonebender MkII Professional, Tonebender Reissue, z-vex Fuzz Factory and a Fuzz Face. I'll undoubtedly use them in plenty of other stuff too.

I bought a load, tested them all, dumped the ones with crazy leakage and sorted them into hFE ranges. They go anywhere from 30-35ish up to 200ish with very small leakage.

There are some up over 250 hFE, but the leakage on them is quite a bit higher. Maybe that suits your purpose..?? I believe some pedals like leaky trannies.

I paid a lot of money for these, so would like £1.50 each. For that you get one within 10 hFE of what you're after.

I'll dig through and sort out matched pairs (within 10 hFE of each other) for £5 a pair.